What insurance do I need in Mexico?
To drive legally in Mexico, even if you are only going as a tourist for a few days, you need to carry Mexican auto insurance. Liability coverage is mandatory by law in Mexico, and your US car insurance policy won’t cover your car if you drive into Mexico.
What does Mexico insurance cover?
Similarly to your US car insurance policy, your Mexico insurance can cover for a variety of risks. Aside for the legally mandatory coverage that you have to get (liability coverage for damages to other people’s vehicles, property, and/or injuries), you can choose to have your Mexico auto insurance cover for:
- Damage to your own car if it’s involved in an accident
- Partial theft
- Medical bills for injuries to you
- Roadside assistance
- Uninsured Motorist
You can also buy Mexico insurance for your motorcycle, mobile home, or boat.
How much does Mexico insurance cost?
The cost of your Mexico auto insurance will vary based on a few factors:
- The type of vehicle you need to insure
- The type and amount of coverage you want your policy to provide
- The duration of your trip
- When and where you’re traveling to Mexico